Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Training was good this weekend. I got to pre-ride the San Jacinto Enduro. The plan was to get up nice and early to get a jump on the day. I rolled out of bed at 3:45 and was on the bike by 4:00. I got to the Lake Hemet Market, were all loops start and finish, around 4:30. Just a heads up, it's cold at the market at that time of day, and mind you we were having unseasonably warm weather. I guessing by mid Oct. it'll be down right frigid. I've never ridden Rouse Ridge so I think I'll need to go back and hit it again, most of my ride on Sunday was in the dark, I'll bet the views are amazing in the daylight. At the bottom I refilled my water and was headed back up to Idyllwild. At the top of the climb, at the Idyllwild Arts campus, there is another opportunity to refill water bottles. I think this loop a rider should be able to do it with just two big water bottles, but if you want to be safe a pack isn't a bad idea. With the course passing just a couple of miles from my house I decided to swing by and see Bonnie and Finn since they would be gone off the hill most of the day and I wouldn't get to see them until evening. After that I shot up to Cowbell and down to May Valley on some super fun single track. This part of the loop makes all of that climbing I did well worth it.

Loop one concludes off of Hurkey Creek and back to the Lake Hemet Market. I refueled at Hurkey Creek where the water is free, however if you want snackens then the market is the place to go. Loop two was hot this weekend. Like I said earlier I think it'll be considerably cooler in a few weeks. Nice views all along this loop.
On this loop I'd take two bottles and a pack. It's shorter then the first loop but there aren't any places to stop for water, once you're out there...you're out there. There is horse traffic on this loop so be sure to keep that in mind when coming around blind curves and always give them the right on way. The only place on the entire Enduro you might encounter hikers is on the Ramona trail. This is a fun decent with some good techy stuff to test you after a long day in the saddle.
One thing I really like about this course is it's set up to be social. Here's what I mean...there is a lot of double track and control road. Offering ample time to ride side by side taking in the beauty of the San Jacinos. Riding this course is a fun way to wrap up a good season of racing and training. So if you get a chance treat yourself to one more good hard day of mountain biking fun this season!
For more info just go to www.sirenbicycles.com look at the shop blog.
Ride on!

No comments: